You can tell the offseason has started when you read and hear about all these silly MLB rumours, the most pernicious of which is Giancarlo Stanton coming to the Giants.
I cannot vouch for the authenticity of these reports but I can say, in no uncertain terms, it would be a colossal mistake to think the Giants are one Giancarlo Stanton away from returning to their Championship form. While I don’t think it’s happening, I do love Giancarlo Stanton, in the baseball sense. He is a beast and superhero among boys. His overall abilities are amazing and I think his power would still be evident in the windy and cold confines of Willie Mays Field.
Let me list the reasons why I don’t want the Giants to acquire him:
- His history is far too riddled with injuries
- He is expensive, even if the Marlins eat some of the contract
- It would put the Giants over the luxury threshold and hurt their abilities to acquire other players (eg. a center fielder)
- It would signal that the Giants front office is delusional about where the team is talent-wise
- His contract is too long: it runs through 2029 when he will be 39
My guess is, in this anti-free agent age, he will end up in Boston or Boston.